Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago offers 17 interactive, hands-on exhibits for children ages birth to 8. All of our exhibits and programs are aligned to the Illinois State Learning Standards and are designed to nurture a love of learning in young children.
Kohl Children’s Museum nurtures a love of learning in young children.
Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago provides engaging informal learning environments featuring interactive exhibits and programs that encourage young children ages birth to 8 to become effective learners through self-directed complex play.
- All Museum exhibits and programming are research-based to be challenging, educational, appealing and engaging to young children.
- Parents, caregivers and teachers play a crucial role in guiding children toward activities that promote effective learning, while allowing them to direct their own learning experiences.
- Complex play experiences involve a blend of physical, emotional, imaginative, cognitive, and social activities.
- Trained staff using best practices in early childhood education enhance effective complex play experiences for children.
- All Museum facilities, exhibits and programming are accessible by children in the same manner, regardless of differing levels of physical, auditory, visual, social-emotional, or cognitive ability.
- All Museum facilities and programming model strong stewardship of the environment.
- We embrace the opportunity for those with diverse backgrounds to interact and play together.
- We create opportunities for those in the Chicago area whose geographical or economic circumstances preclude direct Museum visitation can still participate through interactive outreach programming.
- Informal environments augment the more traditional, formal educational structure.
- We create a setting that brings all generations of family together to share the early childhood learning experience with one another.
Kohl Children's Museum of Greater Chicago is dedicated to a culture of inclusion that inspires children to value themselves and the unique qualities in each other through the provision of environments and experiences that foster cooperative play, inquiry and self-discovery. The Museum draws upon the strength of its broad service area to achieve institution-wide diversity in all programs, activities and operations.
Around 330,000 people visit Kohl Children’s Museum each year. The Museum has approximately 7,000 member families, who enjoy the purpose-built facility, 17 interactive, hands-on exhibits, and easily accessible location.